Friday, February 17, 2006

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

[did not finish]

This book got a lot of good reviews, and won awards, so I read the first few chapters, and well, it's a very sweet little story about four sisters (ages about five to thirteen, I think) who rent a summer cottage with their father, and there's a mean lady, and a nice boy, and a cute gardener, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed reading it if a) I was ten years old or b) I was in a doctor's office with only The Economist to read instead.

But since my books-to-read list is just getting longer and longer, I have to ask myself the hard questions. Do I really care what happens to these nice little girls and their garden and the boy?

The answer, sadly, is no.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you on this one. Big yawn for me. Life is too short to read books that don't grab us and not let go.

Susan Taylor Brown
http://susanwrites.livejournal.com

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm, the economist is FABulous, biyatch. so SUCK IT!!!!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Marian The said...

Yeah, YOU suck it, anonymous boy. I know where you live. (With your MOM.)
:) Thanks for reading, Stevie.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home